In Adelaide I used to love going to The Pancake Kitchen, which was open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. It is still there and not much has changed, which is wonderful because some of their concoctions are superb. This was always one of my favourites, and is called “It” because it is the ultimate!
1 cup buckwheat flour
¼ cup 85% flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp raw /demerara sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
½ cup plain yoghurt
½ cup milk
1 tsp vanilla essence
Bananas, sliced (optional)
1. Mix flours and baking powder in a medium bowl and add sugar. Make a well in the centre and pour in combined eggs, yoghurt, milk and vanilla; whisk until smooth.
2. Into a warm pan put the butter and a dash of oil. When frothy add the walnuts and toss around until hot. Add the banana pieces, if using, and cook briefly. Set aside.
3. Heat a frying pan over medium heat; oil lightly. Pour ½ cup of the mixture into pan; cook for 1-2 minutes per side or until the pancake is golden and cooked through.
4. Repeat with the remaining mixture to make 4 pancakes in total.
5. Top with the walnuts and bananas and serve with organic maple syrup and plain yoghurt.