1500ml alcohol (strongest you can get) I used vodka, Deb said Grappa is good too
15 large, thick-skinned lemons
750ml rain water
3/4 - 1 kg sugar
- Put alcohol into a large jar
- Clean lemons, dry and then, using a lemon peeler, peel the lemons - making sure you don't get any pith. Make the pieces as large as possible
- Put the peels into the jar with the alcohol and stir gently. Make sure lemon is covered.
- Cover tightly and put into a cool, dark place to infuse
- On days 8, 22 and 36 gently shake or stir and return to cool, dark place
- On day 45 dissolve sugar in water and boil 5 mins. Cool as it needs to be cold to add to lemons
- Gently scoop out the peels with a slotted spoon
- Filter liquid thru' a coffee filter. Repeat if not clear
- Into a clean jar place the filtered alcohol and the sugar syrup to taste (don't taste too much!) and leave for 40 days.
- Filter again thru' coffee filter
- Bottle and seal well. Enjoy.